Problems with GAT 2.3 Pre2?

G.A.T. Engine general discussion
elmoo168
Casual
Casual

Problems with GAT 2.3 Pre2?

Post by elmoo168 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 am

Hi, I just downloaded the GAT 2.3 Pre2 and tried running it, but it keeps coming up with the activation screen and when I click Activate and restart GAT, I get the message "Possible multiple license usage detected for user ID...". The message tells me to reset my account, but before I do is this a problem with the Pre2 release? I don't want to reset my account and have it count against me if the program will keep coming up with this message. And yes, I'm running GAT only on one machine and haven't switched at all. In fact I ran GAT Pre1 yesterday and everything was fine, however after this error message I switched back to Pre1 and also am getting the same message!

Update: I reset my account and it's working fine now. Did anyone else experience this problem?

Skirrow
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Problems with GAT 2.3 Pre2?

Post by Skirrow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:26 am

Hiya Elmoo,
I had the same problem until I realised I should be running the latest release in compatibility mode & as administrator ! ............... (win 7)

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 am

90% of the issues that cause this problem when a new exe is run that blocks the license is due to the exe not knowing in advance it needs to be run at compatibility mode. The problem is that write access permissions is given at executable level (in that case GAT pre 2) and both GAT and WG needs to save a small file at its installation folder every time it runs. Windows Vista and Windows 7 (and probably Windows 8 as well) block any save attempts silently thus the program cannot know if its save operation was performed. However this save contains some data from the server and since this can't be saved, the next time we run GAT or WG there is inconsistency which is translated as "multiple license" warning. I'll try to add a code to guard against this type of false warning so only real reasons are accused by that. In the same category belongs the case of running quickly two instances of the program. We need to let the first instance fully open before attempting to run another instance.
An alternative solution would be to save all that data (including options & history draws) in the application data folder (which is a hidden folder really and don't need write permissions) or a user definable folder and this could complicate users further since most users (correctly) don't show hidden folders or don't want to have specific folders for programs. I prefer to have all necessary data in the same folder with the executable in that case and this is the reason compatibility is needed.
If users run down from resets, please send a PM with the user ID to restore it. This reset operation is meant to protect the programs from unauthorized use automatically and not to bother legal users of course. It doesn't mean if a user runs down to 0 resets he loses his license but it is a protective measure to first identify why resets are needed.

cheers
lottoarchitect

elmoo168
Casual
Casual

Post by elmoo168 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks, you're right when I downloaded the pre2 I was excited to try it and didn't set the permissions correctly. I was just surprised by the error message since I know I didn't install it on two machines. But I reset my account and it works now. :D